A new-look SmartmessagesLast weekend we rolled out a complete overhaul of our user interface. For the most part it was a revamp of the underlying systems that provide our web interface, so it won't come as too much of a shock to our long-term users, but there are hundreds of small visual and usability tweaks throughout the site.
So what's changed under the hood?
- Switch to HTML5 based on html5boilerplate
- A new consistent CSS framework built on Twitter Bootstrap 2 and LESS
- Responsive layouts for improved usability on small screens
- A complete overhaul of template structuring using Smarty 3's inheritance
- Removal of nearly all images
- Use of vector artwork and fonts (with FontAwesome)
- YSlow optimisation
- SPDY protocol support
Combined with SPDY support in browsers that support it (Firefox 11+ and Chrome), this makes for a much snappier experience overall. SPDY is a good fit for Smartmessages as we deliver everything over HTTPS anyway.
All of these changes took about a month to implement, and they improve our ability to change things in future, so we've now got a great base on which to build the new features we're planning!
We hope you like it.